Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The latest with us...

I completely failed at hitting 31 for 21. I think I barely hit half. In my defense, I have had a lot going on and I really feel that I succeeded in my mission. I think I truly raised awareness and helped educate people on Down syndrome.

Now on to my excuse as to why I failed...

The last few months have been a challenge, to say the least. The time has finally come to update blog world on what is going on.

For those of you that don't know my husband, my 37 year old husband, had a stroke. Ever since then, we have been consumed with doctor appointments, decisions, and lots of stress. After the failed attempt at converting his heart his cardiologist referred us to an electrophysiologist to talk about surgery.  There are no electrophysiologists in our county. Our HMO referred us to a doctor in the Los Angeles area which is about 3.5 hours away from us. We traveled down there a few weeks back and met with the specialist who informed us that he needs the surgery and he needs it soon. The surgery that he needs to correct his heart abnormality is a Cardiac Ablation. On top of that, he also informed Chris that he needs to be prepared for a pacemaker. He said there is about a 95% chance that he wont need one, but that it is something that is a possibility. In the state that his heart is in, for a guy his age, he should have a heart rate close to 200. His is in the 70s. The fear is that when they correct the abnormality and get his heart beating in a normal rhythm his heart rate will be so low that a pacemaker will be necessary. Which is exactly what happened when they did the cardioversion back in August.

After many phone calls and schedule changes we have a date. Chris' surgery will take place next Monday November 8th. Anyone that can spare positive thoughts and prayers, please send them our way that he wont need a pacemaker and that the surgery will be successful.

7 comments:

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

You have our prayers!!!! Which hospital will he be at? Is the whole family coming? I'm in LA and would love to meet you!

ssss said...

Will be praying a lot for all of you.

jenhiatt said...

We will be at Providence St Josephs in Burbank. We are not bringing the kids. Just Chris, my mom and I.

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

That is wonderful that your mom will be joining you! I will think very good thoughts and prayers and can't wait to hear that it was a success.

We are about an hour south of St Josephs.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. And seriously, once things settle a bit, we're going out to dinner!!

jenhiatt said...

Mandy- Agreed!

abbie said...

Passing along prayers! I hope everything goes okay. I think it is okay to fail at anything else when you are having to deal with that.
Good luck and I hope he heals quickly from the surgery and is able to get back to a new kind of normal life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...