Thursday, December 27, 2007

out of the mouths of the ignorant....

Last week when I took Zach to the doctor to have his tongue looked at, the nurse that was checking us in the room said:

"I bet that happens to a lot of Down syndrome's since they always have their tongues hanging out"

Now let's pick apart this statement. First of all, my son is a person, he is not a "Down syndrome". Second of all, that is pretty stereotypical to state that 'they all' have their tongues hanging out.

I just didn't know what to say, so I said nothing. Sometimes I feel like I don't always want to be the over sensitive mom who has to educate everyone. And in that moment, I was at a loss for words. I should have educated her, and advocated for my son and for all other special kids she may come across in her field, but I was just floored by the statement.

I hope one day this world is educated enough to not stereotype a person based on a diagnosis, or a difference. Seems like a long shot, but I can always hope and dream, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH - It's so frustrating when people are so ignorant. I don't know how many health professionals I have corrected in terminology (no 's on Down , etc). I will join you in the dream for a more educated and thoughtful society!

Katrina

Amy Flege said...

its so hard to believe someone would actully say that!! i dont know what i would of done either.. how rude though!

Carey said...

gosh, those darned down syndromes'...uh what? that's so weird, especially coming froma nurse. But I've gotta ask, did he pull a Chelsea and bite off half his tongue?!!! She's still got a scar from her event a year ago!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Unfortunately a lot of it is taught in nursing school, medical school, etc...

I just started a job as a clinical nursing instructor, and I promise to work on that with my close to 40 students!

I have had to keep my mouth closed a bunch of times just because I am worn out with the constant advocating. Don't be hard on yourself for not saying something to every person who needs the educating. You can't do it alone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...