As Hannah has gotten older, it really makes me realize how different raising her is, than it was when Zachary was a baby. Of course there are lots of similarities, he is after all a child before anything, but it is different. Not bad different. Not good different. Just different.
When Zach was small, he/we had to work at everything. Things didn't come naturally to him the way I see they do with Hannah. Things I see her doing, I had to really sit and work with Zach, and show him and teach him how to do these things. I love(d) working with him. I am so grateful I was able to stay home with him that first year. I think I am a better person for having him. He has taught me that you don't take little things or accomplishments for granted.
Looking back, I am really glad he is my first born. As much as I think it would be nice to have an older sibling to stick up for him and for him to look up to, I think, as a parent, it was better that I was blissfully unaware of how "typical" babies developed. To me, it was all just normal. I think if I had other kids that I had seen through their first year where so much is going on, it may have made me sad. Sad at all the things he wasn't just doing on his own. Sad at the things he did slower. Sad at the time I would have had to take away from him or his siblings to give the other my attention. He had all my time and attention. He was my only priority. He taught me how to love unconditionally.
1 comment:
Great post...you made me cry. You are an amazing woman, mother and friend. I am so happy and feel so blessed that we've been able to stay friends for so long. Much love, me :o)
Post a Comment