Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bullying

Never have I had such a fire in me to write about something that is on my mind yet my words do not seem to do my feelings justice. Please bear with me, I hope at the end of this to have a point, if not... enjoy the ride.

This morning I was trying to decide what to blog about. I haven't quite met my blog-a-day for the 31 for 21 and I really wanted to post something today. I came across a post with this link. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article for many reasons. For one, we live in a small town and I have always had this dream in my head that if we stay in this town that Zach will be known, accepted and loved in our community. Two, the peer advocates is an awesome program that I just might be writing a letter to our school district about. 

Back to my first point. At Zach's latest IEP one of the biggest points I stressed, and that mattered most to me, was inclusion. Zach is in a special ed class at his school and having integration with the "regular" 1st grade class is something that is at the top of my priority list. I know a lot of parents who have kids with IEPs read this and might feel I am short changing him when it comes to the academic goals but of course that is not the case. I have such faith in Zach's IEP team that I knew that would not be something I needed to be worried about. They've got his back. When Zach meets goals before the dates we have set, they are the first ones to set new goals. Anyway, back to my point.... inclusion... last year it did not happen nearly as much as we'd hoped. A big reason for that is budget cuts and the Kindergarten teachers having close to 30 kids per teacher. I get that, but it doesn't mean I still wont push for more time for my kid. Not only do I think Zach learns a lot from other kids his age... I truly feel that Zach's social skills are going to get him further in life than any other skills he will learn. When Zach is older, I feel that him being able to be active in the community and having a lot of friends will take him very far. Being able to go out to dinner and display manners and be socially comfortable will help him live a fulfilled life. 

Now to talk about my second point. Peer advocates. This is something that should be happening at each and every school in America. From junior high through college. In my naive brain, I cant imagine it would take much, if any, funds to operate. Kids volunteer their time and they have meetings on lunch hours or as an elective class and a couple teachers or parents in the community give their time. Today has been called a day to prevent bullying. Millions of people (I included) wore purple today to support the teens who have recently taken their lives because of bullying. They were bullied because of their sexual preference. Because being a teenager isn't hard enough, now throw into that coming to grips with feelings that are perceived by some as wrong or bad. Now on top of that you are bullied. And not just playground teasing or snickers in the halls when you walk past the cool crowd going to your locker. No, times have changed. Now, even the ones who didn't have the nerve to make fun of you to your face have the anonymity of the Internet. They can cowardly sit behind a faceless computer screen and poke fun at every single thing that you feel self conscious about. And they can post it for your entire school and community to see or read.

I am in no way perfect. I am sure I was mean to someone from time to time. I was bullied for being the fat kid so I in turn bullied someone else to take the attention away from me and to try and make myself feel better. I like to think I was above that but I'm not. It is a vicious cycle. I do know that I was not a truly mean hearted person and I had a conscious so any teasing I dealt out was pretty tame.

Today I read something on Facebook that has bothered me all day and is the epitome of irony. Someone I love posted a reminder last night to wear purple to help raise awareness of bullying and in honor of those who committed suicide. Such a smart young girl to stand up for what she believes in. Right? She got several comments of support and then I read comments from her own flesh and blood, someone who should do nothing but love and support her, about how she got details wrong. Not only was her grammar picked apart, but her interpretation of the message. You could tell by the exchange of words that this is not an isolated incident. It pains me that so many people are disrespected by those who should be their biggest advocates. It is no surprise that people become depressed. I just hope the kind words that were said were taken to heart and she truly knows how much she is loved. And I hope that every other teenager whose family members put them down have someone to turn to for a positive influence.

If every student that recently committed suicide had an advocate in their school to stand up for them, or even just a supportive ear, maybe their family would not be grieving the way they are tonight. Suicide has got to be the hardest form of death to process. I know. My dad committed suicide 6 years ago and it is something I think about every day. It is something that I don't know you can ever fully have closure for. There are always the "what if" questions and the "could I have done something differently"  thoughts. I can only imagine how the parents of these young kids feel. It is senseless. It is unacceptable. 

Be the change that you want to see in the world. 

Unless you are a mean person, then just lock yourself in your house until you have a positive epiphany and please, please... don't pro create.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here! Here!

Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...